Friday 10 August 2012

Your Island Girl--Sibuyan, Romblon, Philippines

                        

I remember how happy I was when I first took a boat ride going to the city and went to college. I told myself "Yes, at last, I'll say goodbye to this place". I have had enough of the beach, of the lake, falls, rivers, people, etc...But you'll never guess how I trully regret leaving this paradise when I saw how depressing it was living in the city and I wanted to go back, if not only because of my studies so I needed to stay.



Nothing is more interesting than writing about the place where I grew up. The place that for me was just so ordinary 8 years ago. I felt I was so fed up with this place and when I went to study college and finally had the chance to go outside my cocoon, I told myself I was not coming back.


I suddenly remember old good days with my grandma. Fishing is our bread and butter. We eat fish everyday, sometimes when we have pork or chicken is just a bonus. Gathering firewood used for cooking at the same time, stealing coconut, looking for wild fruits in the hills and swimming were some of my childhood memories, that because of these I always got a long and painful pinch on my skin from grandma. Our simple life we had. 


After several years, there are few changes of course, some of my friends are now starting their own family. Some of them have passed away....sad and happy stories happened while I'm away. But the Island is still the same, the trees, the breeze, the ocean and the mountains are still amazingly beautiful and remain untouched. Just walking around this beach is what I always do when I'm home.




Haven of tranquility for those who just want to enjoy connecting with nature. I enjoy sitting on this side and watch the sunset...a real paradise.


In Cambodia, people are gathered to Phnom Bakheng Temple just to watch the beautiful sunset, I wonder if this is also the same sunset  they see and I see..( such a silly question I know ). My point is, in that place in Siem Reap, Cambodia is crowded with tourists and locals during this time. They watch the golden sunset, while I am here in the beach of Sibuyan, enjoying watching the sunset, alone. Amazing, isn't it!



Sibuyanons enjoy the gift of nature. Pulling the net is everyday's way of living for Sibuyanons. They start throwing their nets, early in the morning. Anyone can join and  get their share when its over.



Small and tiny fishes are caught by this net. Anyone who is patient enough to join pulling will have food for the whole day. They say if you're just industrious in the island like this, you'll never starve. When I was a kid, I join this pulling to get the chance to swim, because i was not allowed to.  But they say if there's a will there's a way! hehe.


Boating is one of my adventures. But my dad would not allow me to go fishing with them. Stubborn as I always am, I go fishing with my friends.


Ready to cook the fish we got from "pulling the net". My father dried the rest. During summer, its a time to collect dried fish because during rainy season when the Southeast monsoon hits the island, its the time that its very difficult to fish...


Where we get our supply of drinking water. I really feel I'm home everytime I strike the handle of the pump.  You just learn to save water when you need to work hard to have it...And bringing water to the kitchen for cooking serves as my daily exercise... who else would need to go to the gym!?


Whenever I'm away, I always think about fresh coconut in Sibuyan, as we call it" Butong" in our dialect or "Buko" in tagalog. So I request 1 or 2 from my uncle that always and forever willingly grants my request.


The lake has lot of fresh water fish but we preferred fresh fish from the seawater. I can't forget when I was chased by a cow in this lake and I ran so fast. Panicking and nervous, I left my slippers behind. I just got a spank from my grandma when I reached home.



Brings back our childhood memory. I remember we used to get some wild guavas and "duhat" in tagalog or is commonly referred as Java plum in this hill. Now a days, kids are spending most of their time playing counter strike and dota in their home, but during our times, we love outdoor life. We couldn't afford to buy toys or dolls, instead we use shells and woods as toys and have fun.


Sweet as "atis" or custard apple or sweetsop is the fruit of my grandma's hard labor, selling this fruit around the town, gives us enough money fo a month or two. For this, I was able to enroll every second semester. This fruit is commonly seen during month of August- November, sometimes during April- May.




                            

I am so proud being a Sibuyanon. Proud to tell the world how life could be this simple. To have our basic needs met, eat 3 times ( breakfast, lunch and dinner ) is already enough. But dreaming beyond what is enough is always an advantage, for the better. I started aiming for better life when I was in high school. But what is good life, is how you define it. It's subjective. 


For us, this is a good life, away from stressful cities, away from pollution and rubbish. I always find myself headed back. Indeed, it is always true that "there is no place than home"! 

* I only have one wish on my mind, to watch the stars again just like the old good days. -DPG










2 comments:

  1. Great Post! Sana ipinanganak din ako sa isang isla kagaya ng sa'yo.

    ReplyDelete