Friday 3 August 2012

Some Facts I Learned about Travelling







1. Spend Less


       The biggest challenge I had to face when I first travelled was my love for food. Every corner that I see them, I begin salivating. Eventhough I choose least expensive street foods, at the end of the day, you count how much did you spend for junk foods. If you count in a week, you can actually have saved  for a train ticket. Just a wise idea I got from a British Silver Backpacker I met somewhere in this crazy world, just make your eyes savor the food around you. No need to try everything.

         Refrain from buying souvenirs or clothes, etc. or you can buy on the last day of your travel. When you know you have extra money to spend. I know you will agree.



     

2. Travel Light 


        I almost did break all the rules in travelling. I brought a lot. But truth is you can survive just a small bag of your belongings with you.
        A back pack is enough to go every place in this world. Just those important few things like passport, wallet and camera are priority on your list.


3. Use your Head


         This words seems to echo in my mind everytime. But somehow, sometimes, it doesn't sink in. I was so overwhelmed and too happy, I almost forgot that when you travel you need to use your common sense. Be observant to your sorroundings. Know what is happening. "Never ask if someone sells  Pepsi if you don't see a cooler or thermochest in front of them", understand!?

         Learn how to balance in every situation. Think before you speak and do something. Be sensitive as well!

       
4. Read Ahead


          This is important. Read the history, the culture, the do's and don'ts, some ideas and guide, some tips. Don't be ignorant because its dangerous to know nothing. Know where you are, how you got there and how is the way out.



5. Be Culture Sensitive


          And being so stubborn, I did not listen that when you travel to South East Asia you need to cover up shoulders and legs. There are still places in Asia where people are dressed up modestly according to their culture and seeing people in their provocative attire is somewhat offensive to them.


6. Control your Emotions


 I was struggling with my emotions when I first travelled in Cambodia and Thailand. Like for instance, during the first day of our tour in temples in Siem Reap, I met this girl who was selling necklaces and souvenirs. The girl was so witty and  friendly. Telling stories of her life. Due to lack of any penny in my pocket, I made a promise to comeback some other time to buy. But wait....I might not fulfill it so I compromised. Leaving my favorite hat which was a "gift" from someone when we travelled in Sibuyan Island.
Unaware that in the next temples, lots of children have the same stories of life.



 Learn when to be soft and tough. Set limits or else you will go naked as you travel. Sounds exaggerated  but true. Learn when to be firm as well otherwise people will manipulate you, and will take advantage. Losing your temper wont help. Take it easy. Relax....

There are lots of regrets in my heart last time I travelled with someone, I felt like I had no control over my emotions.  Or were I just misunderstood? There were "ups and downs" during the entire time we were together.

Learn how to let things come and go without worrying or panicking. At times, we joke, be noisy and get crazy but there are times we need  to be serious and quiet and just listen to other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment