Thursday 23 August 2012

The Jungle Wat--Ta Prohm, Cambodia



I was walking inside a bookstore with my niece the other day when she saw a travel book about Cambodia. As she opened the pages, she was so amazed to see the photos of Ta Prohm and I told her " You know what, I've been there". She smiled with astonishment that made me suddenly feel the urge to write something about my journey in this place.






Ask me how we got here, was really no joke. First, I want to tell you that my calves were seriously hurting as I continue to pedal 12 kilometers from Siem Reap, for almost an hour.  But its all worth it when we finally arrived . The breeze was cold and the weather was perfect at the moment. 





Built in the late 12th and early 13th century, this was founded by King Jayavarman VII in honor of his family, especially dedicated to the King's mother. They say this was built to be a Buddhist monastery and university. This also served as home for thousands of people during this time.

 For centuries, it was abandoned and forgotten by many. So it was once became a jungle and unknown for many years.




Apart from it was forgotten or neglected for many years, like many other Angkor Temples, it was also destroyed as Hindu ruled over Buddhism. For years, it became a jungle. And rested away from people. And it was like the trees became the major protector of the building or temple. It produced huge roots to hold the stones not to fall into pieces. And because of this it became a distinctive feature of Ta Prohm, that attracts  tourists everyday.




An elephant's nose- like roots of silk-cotton tree mainly predominates in every corner of the temple. Stunningly even framed around one of the windows. Growing in every spaces it could grow. Holding every weaker stones altogether. I couldn't imagine how it happened.  And for years, the roots are becoming older, some of them were gone. 

                                        



I was asking myself before if its possible that a tree can grow in a stone...well this is a live proof. I became an eye witness. Not only it is a beautiful view but the roots also preserves one of Angkor's best tourist temple attractions.



Our own photo of Bas relief on Ta Prohm Corridor. 




Have you heard of a Hollywood  movie "Tomb Raider"? Some of its scenes were filmed here in Ta Phromn. That because of this, it became more popular..Just sitting somewhere and wondering where exactly in this area because I haven't seen the movie myself. ( I know, I'm way behind..hehe). 




Going here early in the morning is really an advantage if you want to stay away from huge crowd of people that visit the place. Aside from that, you can take best photos during this time...


The outer part of the temple where I tried if the roots are strong enough while I sit comfortably, before heading to the next temple...


No comments:

Post a Comment